Thursday 26 May 2016

Empties | The Mascara Edit.

I quite like the idea of themed empties in a way, although I'm not sure I go through the same products often enough to warrant an empties post. Unless of course that is, you're me and you remember that you're a mascara fiend. So I thought it would be fun to do a round-up of some mascaras I've used/used up recently with some mini reviews as to whether they were any good or not. I will say though, just because I won't repurchase doesn't mean it wasn't good. Mascara is just one of those things that I, and I think a lot of people, are always curious to try a new one in the hopes that it will give us bigger and better lashes than the one before.


I got this in a press package a while ago and forgot to include it in my Seventeen brand focus post because I'd written that at home in Ireland and the mascara was in France. Regardless, I'm getting to it now and I am saying absolutely do not buy this mascara. The tube and wand is quite thin, which I thought would be amazing for really getting in there and adding length, especially on the bottom. No. Absolutely no. The wand is a more traditional fiber one rather than plastic. It's hard to explain, but there is very little space between the bristles on this, and the formula itself is so thick that it sits on the wand and is impossible to get the excess off. It also means that when you try and comb the mascara through your lashes upon application, for formula sits at the base of your lashes in lumps, and doesn't smoothly comb through to the tips. When you are able to move the product to the tips, it's so wet and thick that it clumps your lashes together to make it look like you have about 5. I've had this for weeks and it isn't showing signs of drying up (I typically prefer mascaras when they've been opened a week or two) so I can't see this getting any better. It also takes forever to dry on the actual lashes too, I just didn't like this at all. Avoiddddd.

Seventeen Long Lash
A mascara I really do like is the one I'm currently using. The Kiko Ultra Tech Curve is a plastic wand with a banana shape and is amazing at lifting the lashes and separating them. The banana shape really reminds me of Rollar Lash by Benefit at first glance, but I haven't compared them side by side so I can't say if that's 100% true. Either way, the Kiko one does a great job at curling and separating, it's really dark too and I've had minimal flaking so I'm really happy with it. They have so many mascaras in their range, I can't wait to try more in the future.

Kiko Ultra Tech Curve
If volume is more what you're looking for then look absolutely no further than the Isa Dora Volume Lash Styler. I got this in a goodie bag at an Isa Dora event months ago and had heard Siobhan from Letz Makeup talk about it quite a bit. It sat in the draw for ages and I regret not using it sooner. I LOVED this mascara. The wand is big and chunky, probably not the best for those with small eyes but I really loved this. It's probably up there with my top 3 mascaras I've ever used (this is saying something, guys) The volume and thickness it gives is unreal, it's one of the only mascaras I've used that has come close to looking like false lashes on the eyes. I can't recommend this enough!

Isa Dora Volume Lash Styler
Another Isa Dora mascara I got in a goodie bag at some stage, the All Day Long Lash. The formula is much thinner than the Volume Lash Styler, the wand doesn't apply nearly half as much product so it's a much more natural effect. However, I just didn't like this mascara at all. Aside from it being very, very natural, the wand is SO spikey that it actually hurts some times when I apply it. I don't get into a lot of mascara accidents and when I do I blink once or twice and it's all good. This however, was quite difficult to apply without nearly taking my eye out and when I was finished the result wasn't anything great. Really disappointed with this one, but honestly the Volume Styler makes up for all of it.

Isa Dora All Day Long Lash
Another day another Lancome Hypnose mascara sample. They come with every gift with purchase and I need to start giving them away to people and stop pretending like I'll like this mascara the second, third... tenth time around. I don't like it at all, the wand does nothing for me and doesn't do anything to lift my lashes or lengthen them. I much prefer the Hypnose Volume-à-Porter which I blogged about last summer (check it out here if you'd like to see one of the only high end mascaras I actually enjoyed - and repurchased a while later!). Nay to the Hypnose, Yay to Volume-à-Porter.

Lancome Hypnose
Et voilà! Five mascaras I've recently been using or used up. 2 gems and 2 to avoid, you win some you lose some. What is your all time favourite mascara? And what are your thoughts on high-end mascaras? Are they worth the hype or just silly business? Let me know below!

No comments :

Post a Comment